Welcome to Fashioning Circuits, a public Humanities project related to Fashion and Emerging Media.
Fashioning Circuits was launched in September 2011 as part of a series of independent studies in the graduate program in Emerging Media and Communication (EMAC) at the University of Texas, Dallas. The goal of the project is twofold: to explore the ways in which fashion and emerging media intersect and to work with community partners to introduce beginners to making and coding through wearable media. In Fashioning Circuits “fashion” functions not just as a noun to describe cultural trends, but also as a verb, “to fashion,” to indicate the experiential and problem based learning strategies of the project as well as the potential for a diverse range of students to fashion themselves as members of the publics and counterpublics of the future.
This blog is one of the ways in which the work of the project is articulated. The blog content includes
- Coursework – resources from university courses, both independent study and formal classes.
- Emerging Media – examples and analysis of blogs, social media, mobile applications, etc. as they pertain to fashion.
- High Fashion – information and analysis of haute couture and runway iterations of wearable media.
- History – historical impact of science, technology, and media on fashion.
- Identity – analysis of the impact of fashion and emerging media on identity, including raced, classed, gendered, differently abled and sexualized bodies.
- Project News – information about Fashioning Circuits activities and press coverage of the project
- Representations – representations of fashion in media, including art, media, games, social avatars, etc.
- Wearables – analysis of developments in wearable media, smart textiles, etc.
- Workshop – descriptions of wearable media projects and detailed tutorials.
If you would like to work with us on planning a community event, please contact email@example.com If you would like to volunteer your time at one of our community events, please join our Facebook planning group at http://facebook.com/groups/fashioningcircuits